My First Orthodox Service

I went to the Eastern Orthodox church today. Coming from a non-denominational protestant church and even having attended a number of Catholic masses in my time, let me tell you - it was quite the change!

To begin, there were only pews in the back and along the walls to be used by people with children or the elderly (though none of the elderly in attendance actually utilized them). The rest of the open space was covered in carpet, on which most of the congregation stood - yes, actually stood - for everything but the sermon. The alter was behind a solid, icon covered wall, accessible only through three doors (from what I understand, this is pretty standard). The liturgy was mostly sung or chanted (that will take some getting used to). There was quite a bit of crossing ones self and bowing and prostrating (though, by no means, was everyone doing everything at the same time. It helped me be less self conscious) and I wish I would have understood more of the significance of each of the actions; it was quite beautiful, even in such a small church.

Yet, despite the rituals I (vaguely) described above, this was the most laid back service I've ever been to. People were walking in and kissing the icon in the middle of the room 15 minutes late and no one seemed to mind, children ran hither and thither, and a delightful old man kept explaining out loud different aspects of the service to me and the girl I came with (because it was painfully obvious that neither of us had ever been to an Orthodox church before) right as the priest was speaking or chanting - again, no one seemed to mind. And it was absolutely the most adorable thing I think I've ever seen to watch the littlest kids crossing themselves or kissing the icons. One little girl, couldn't have been more than two, would cross herself any which way she pleased: middle-of-nose to the belly button to the right shoulder to the eye to the left clavicle to the belly button again. I wanted to snatch her up and snorgle her right there. =P

I've been investigating Orthodoxy for less than a week, but I'm finding more and more in common with it. Case in point: I first began looking into it because so many headcovering blogs that I read were/are run by Orthodox women and it was so beautiful to see most of the women in this church with their heads fully covered. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 26, 2008