Several Things

I just got back from a weekend in D.C. with EJ. We visited Mt. Vernon on Saturday and the National Air and Space Museum on Sunday (can you guess which place was picked by whom? =P). It was so much fun.

I'm taking a special studies class on C.S. Lewis and am learning oodles and gobs about the man and his works. In a way, knowing that he wasn't perfect - and that, yes, it's perfectly fine if I don't agree with everything he says - has helped me gain a greater appreciation for his works. We've read The Great Divorce and Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer, the teacher has outlined for us the arguments in The Personal Heresy and we're now working on An Experiment in Criticism. The professor is constantly forcing us to engage in debates over Lewis' viewpoints, but I don't usually participate in them, preferring to sit back and form my own opinions quietly. The same few people are usually the ones arguing and, often enough, they haven't thought through their responses. It's funny and instructive hearing the professor destroy them (not that I think I could do any better). =P

Oh! and E.J. just informed me last night that he's seriously considering applying for the Enlisted Commissioning Program and becoming a career officer (if he gets accepted)! This has changed things for me somewhat. You see, all this time I've been figuring he'd just do his five years and then we'd be able to move on and set up our little homestead, but I wasn't really thinking about what he'd do to earn money afterward. This is a steady-paying option, though it's not always the easiest life to live.

God moves in mysterious ways.

I just have to say that I'm so proud and appreciative of him. At 19 years old, he's had to grow up so quickly by providing and looking out for his little family's future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 26, 2008