He's a Private First Class

Wow,

wow wow wow.

EJ's back home. It's been three longs months filled only with letters and a single phone call, but last Thursday I found myself in San Diego at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, finally hugging my new Marine.

Family Day was great and Graduation was wonderful, but nothing beats having him actually here with us. It's only for 10 days and I've got exams in between, but at least I can call him whenever I want to now. =)

He said boot camp was different than anything he could have prepared for. Yes, it was just like the movies with the screaming and mud and the yellow footprints (which he showed to us), but he says it's just incomprehensible to someone who hasn't gone through it.

The physical change is the most obvious, of course; he lost 40 lbs in boot camp and is now skinny as a rail. I didn't notice the more subtle changes in his personality right away, though. That only appeared through everyday interaction. He's much more reserved. I can't really explain it. Lol. I guess that, just as boot camp can't really be understood by someone who hasn't gone through it, so this personal transformation can't be adequately described in words.

More to come later; I just wanted to make a quick update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 26, 2008